Monday, March 24, 2014

Grandma's Grilled Cheeses

For my entire life I have lived right across from my grandparents. My grandparents were the loving, cook delicious food kind of people. My Papa was a preacher, and my grandma played the piano. My grandma would always sing to us grand kids, and although my grandpa was serious at church he was a prankster at heart. As a child, my grandparents decided during the summer they would have all six of the grandchildren come over all day. That is the three eldest boys, and the three youngest girls. Since the boys were older they controlled us girls, would manipulate games, and boss us around. Our young, innocent minds never saw any problem with them, we just loved that they invited us to play games with them. My grandma tried to control us, and make us behave; however, as you can imagine, with six grandchildren fights are bound to occur. Luckily, they were never too serious and we would be back to playing five minutes later. Although we would fight, my memories at grandma's house are some of my most favorite memories. One of the biggest memories is grandma's famous grilled cheeses, the gooey cheese, smothered in miracle whip.As you can imagine paying for food for six kids could get very expensive, so every Friday we came over she made us grilled cheeses. Meme would have Jamie, Savannah, and I help get all the stuff together, butter the bread, and place the cheese on the bread. While the grilled cheeses were cooking in the skillet, my grandma would reach in the refrigerator, grab the jar of miracle whip, and a tomato. She would then precede to slice the tomato, and as the sandwiches came out of the skillet, pull the cheese in half, spread miracle whip out, and add a piece of tomato to every one. To some people this might sound disgusting, but to us grand kids it was a delicacy. Yes, it maybe just a grilled cheese, but to us it meant being together, and with our grandparents. It represents the fun childhood we all had, and the wonderful, loving Papa, and Meme who would do anything for fun with us. Now, as we have grown up the only time we actually spend with each other is during holidays. Nonetheless, when we reminisce through our childhood memories, the first thing that's brought up is Meme's grilled cheeses, and how we will never forget the wonderful memories, and tastes we experienced at Papa and Meme's house growing up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment